|Context : EcoLinguae | Services|
Manuals (paper or electronic) introduce software applications by defining their core concepts and instructing the user how to perform the basic tasks in the application. An extended index, clear structure and format help the reader find his way easily.
Users press F1 for Help in an application when they find themselves in an emergency situation. What they want is straightforward instructions to solve their problem. A comprehensive index of search keywords and clear and short instructions are the most effective way to provide useful help to beginners. Advanced information may be provided in the form of hyperlinks to account for more specific questions. The whole art is to find a balance between elementary and advanced information, and accommodate both in a clearly structured system.
Martine was also Speaker at the European Online Help Conference 2000, Gloucester/London.
Reference from organiser:
An integral and essential part of the software development process, functional testing is the determination through testing of whether the behavior of a Web or Windows-based application conforms to requirements. Functional testing includes designing and implementing operational scenarios, submitting incident reports and re-testing software after debugging.
Language services include :
- Document/website translationAll fields, from English or Dutch to French
- Localization Translation of software components, from interface (menus, button labels, options, fields, etc.) to error messages and online help.
- Language quality controlReview of general quality of in-language content; revision & proofreading
- GlossariesBuilding-up of client-specific terminology lists and translation memories
- CopywritingEnhancing the style and use of words to promote a business, a product or an idea; article marketing, increasing visibility
Translation automation tools : SDL Trados. Custom terminology databases are used to ensure consistency between all documents translated for the same client.